Locos & Carriages
QUEENSLAND BB 18 1/4
4-6-2 ('Pacific'), express passenger engine. Built in 1956 at Walkers Ltd, Maryborough, Queensland. for c.45,665 pounds. These locomotives incorporated roller bearings and anti-vacuum devices. It was first based in Brisbane and later at Toowoomba, Queensland until it was taken out of service in 1970. Travelled 341,238 miles, a low mileage. It was bought by Zig Zag in 1975 and named 'City of Lithgow' in recognition of their financial and moral support. Also known as the 'Bety' after its telegraphic code. In service. (18 1/4 refers to the 18 1/4" diameter cylinders). By the time of its delivery Walkers was also building diesel electric locomotives.
Technical data: Weight: 101 tons (102.62 tonnes), length 60'3" (18.38m), cyls: 18 1/4" x 24" (464 x 610mm), boiler pressure 170lb (1171kPa), coupled wheels 4'3" (130cm), tractive effort 22648lb (100.8kN), grate area 25sq.ft, (2.323sq.m) Coal: 10.35 tons (10.52 tonnes), water: 3,500 gallons (15,910 litres), driving wheels dia: 51" (1.3m). There is a photograph of 1072 in "Locomotives in the Tropics" Vol. 2 by John Armstrong, page 142.
Passenger suburban tank locomotive, twelve were built by Ipswich Railway Workshops, entering service between 1948 & 1952. They were taken out of service 1966-1969. Roller bearing axles, superheaters, self cleaning smokebox, mechanical lubricators & electric lighting. All Zig Zag engines originally painted blue with red and black trim, although photos exist of 1049 in black. They were made redundant by the introduction of diesel locomotives.
Technical Data: weight 62 tons (63.2t), length 39' 8 3/8", cylinders 17 x 24 in (43 x 61cm), coal 4 tons, water 1475 gallons, boiler pressure 180lb (1240kPa), coupled wheels 4'3" (130cm), tractive effort 20,808lb (92.6kN), grate area 18.5sq.ft (1.719sq.m) Road numbers: 949-954, 1046-1051.
Built 1950, builder's number 205, bought 1971. Under restoration. The last DD17 to be taken out of service with Queensland Railways in 1969. The first engine in service on the Great Zig Zag. First of the first and final batch built at Ipswich. Picture in Locomotives in the Tropics" Vol. 2 by John Armstrong, page 119.
Blue, built in 1951, builder's number 206, taken out of service in 1968, bought by Zig Zag in 1971. Picture in Locomotives in the Tropics" Vol. 2 by John Armstrong, page 119.
Red for some years, now blue. Built 1951, builder's number 208, taken out of service 1969, bought by Zig Zag 1971. In service after major overhaul. Picture in Locomotives in the Tropics" Vol. 2 by John Armstrong, page 121.
Most versatile locomotive in Queensland, 227 were built 1920-1953 by a number of constructors. Taken out of service 1954-56. Final 40 known affectionately as the 'Brown Bombers'. Returned to service in May 2000.
Technical data: weight: 80 tons (81.21 tonnes), length 53'5.5" (16.305m), cylinders: 17" x 22" (432 x 559mm), boiler pressure 160lb (1102kPa) or 175lb (7206kPa), coupled wheels 3'9" (114cm), tractive effort 18,085 lb. (80.5kN), or 21,017lb (93.5kN) coal: 8 tons (8.13 tonnes), water: 3,050 gallons (13,865 litres), driving wheels dia. 45" (1.14m), bogie wheels 2'4", grate area, 18.5 sq.ft. (1.719sq.m) Valve gear: Walschaerts. Adhesion factor 3.8.
Black, built by Clyde engineering Co. Granville & Sydney, in 1949, makers no. 501, cost c. 18585 pounds. Taken out of service in 1969, bought by Zig Zag 1975. Originally painted black and red, repainted in brown and green in 1953. Painted black by ZZR. In service.
City of Rockhampton, black, built by Walkers Ltd, Maryborough, QLD. in c.1951, bought 1995 from Rockhampton City Council. To be restored.
Following the outbreak of World War II, all Australian railways experienced a tremendous tonnage increase as vital supplies were sped to the war ports. To cope with this situation 20 'Mikado' type (2-8-2) tank locomotives were designed by Alco and built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, of Philadelphia, USA. They were supplied under the Lend Lease scheme in 1943, at £30,000 each. Road numbers 216A-235A (US Army numbers). This standard design was used for engines of varying gauges around 3'6" and one metre, which were also sent to Greece, India, Malaya and Thailand, 741 in all. Known as 'Macarthurs' in Australia. Purchased by Queensland Railways after the war. A number of modifications had to be made to bring them in line with QR. As supplied tenders proved prone to derailment and rocked at high speeds, so were restricted to 30 mph until in 1959 the class had C16 class tenders fitted. Used for such express trains as the 'Midlander' in Queensland.
Tender 2-8-2. The 'A' was added to the American number in Queensland to distinguish the class from local steam locomotives carrying the same numbers. It arrived dismantled in Sydney in June 1943. It was assembled at Ipswich Railway Workshops in Queensland. Taken out of service in 1969, having covered 523,620 miles, it was bought by Zig Zag in 1975, to be restored. One other survives, No. 221A at Redbank Museum, near Brisbane, Queensland.
Technical data: weight 94.05 tons (95.9t), cylinders 16 x 24in (41 x 61cm), boiler pressure 185lb (1275kPa), coupled wheels 4'0" (122cm), tractive effort 20,128lb (89.6kN) grate area 27.7sq.ft (2.573sq.m), length 59.65ft (19.18m), only 20% heavier than the C17. It carried 8 tons (8.13tonnes) of coal and 5000 galls (18,800 litres) of water.
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN BEYER GARRATT
4-8-2 + 2-8-4, built by Societe Franco-Belge de Materiel des Chemins de Fer Raismes, France under licence to Beyer Peacock, Manchester, England. Introduced in 1953, the 400 class locomotive was selected in 1951 to handle all heavy ore traffic from Broken Hill, New South Wales. There were 10 locomotives in the class, nos. 400-409, service introduced 1953, removed from service 1963.
Technical Data: length 87' 5", 4'0" (122cm) dia. driving wheels, bogie wheel: 2'4 1/2", weight: 148 tons 19 cwt 3qr., (52t), Max axle load: 10 tons, 13cwt 2qr., Length: 87'5", water 3,700 gallons, heating surface - tubes: 1,779sq.ft, Superheater: 370sq ft. firebox: 193 sq.ft. Grate area: 48.75 sq.ft (4.534sq.m) Boiler Pressure: 200lb (1378kPa). Tractive effort: 43,520lb (193.7kN), cylinders: (4) 16" x 24" (41 x 61). Heavy Oil: 1,400 gallons / 6 tons.
Builders #2975 (Soc Franco) & #7624 (Beyer Peacock). It arrived on ship Belnor, entered service 1953. Only Garratt to work to Quorn, 31 Oct 1968. Only Garratt to work to Broken Hill 12 Oct 1969. Sold to ZZR 1973, prepared for storage by ZZR members, finally arrived at ZZR in 1976. It was dismantled into 3 sections, loaded on a special train consist: brakevan, well-wagon containing front engine unit, bogie flat truck as a spacer, boiler unit on slave bogies, and another bogie flat truck spacer, a well wagon with rear engine and an NSW brakevan. One other survives, No. 409, at the Mile End Railway Museum in 1970. To be restored.
No 409 is in the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide, South Australia. It was the main power for Broken Hill ore traffic. More Information and pictures.